Third Shrike dip of the year! - 22nd October 2009

I managed a brief visit to Staines Moor to see the Brown Shrike that has been showing there for almost two weeks now. I found the area quite easily after following directions posted on Rare Bird Alert but unfortunately it was to become the third dip of a Shrike this year. As parked up 2 birders were just leaving and reported having seen good views of only 50m away so my hopes were high as I headed out to join the other birders. Sightings during my time there included 2 Kingfisher, 2 Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Ring Necked Parakeet, several Cormorant and 20+ Tufted Duck. We did hear an unrecognised call as some dog walkers passed close to the area and some of the more experienced birders, who had seen it an hour before I arrived thought it was the Brown Shrikes alarm call but to me it remains un-ticked!
Maybe next time though I warn you if you are going for a Shrike on the same day as me with my current luck I wouldn’t bother.
Update on the Brown Shrike – according to RBA it was showing in the same area this afternoon.

No comments: