Cuerden Valley Park Dragonfly Pond - 3rd July 2011

I spent a sunny couple of hours up at the Dragonfly pond at CVP with plenty of Damselflies around as well as a few species of Dragonfly. The first notisable Dragonfly was a patrolling Emperor Dragonfly which on 2 occasions rested on some reeds at the edge of the pond. Though I attempted to get some flight shots they were poor at best I did managed a few reasonable shots at rest mainly using manual focus. Amongst the shrubs around the pond were several 4 Spotted Chasers probably one of the most photogenic of all Dragonflies and certainly one of my favourite.
ABOVE EMPEROR DRAGONFLY BELOW AND TOP 4 SPOTTED CHASER
                              
                                
Damselfly included Azure, Blue Tailed and Large Red though the latter is rather smaller than its blue cousins.
ABOVE LARGE RED DAMSELFLY BELOW BLUE_TAILED DAMSELFLY
ABOVE AZURE BLUE OVIPOSTING BELOW AZURE BLUE MALE
As I left I spotted a Brown Darter so I waited around in hope of it resting somewhere to enable a few photographs but after a brief encounter with Emperor it took a Damselfly and disapeared into the nearby trees to enjoy its lunch!

No comments: