Cuerden Valley & River Ribble

I’ve only managed a few trips out since the trip up to Leighton Moss mainly to Cuerden Valley Park.



Cuerden Valley Park


Sightings whilst walking the dogs included a single Goldcrest, a small number of Tit flocks including Blue, Great, Long-tailed and Coal, Chafinch, Goldfinch, Blackbird, Song and Mistle Thrush, Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Buzzard, a mix of Corvids and 2 Roe Deer.


Home on the feeders


We’ve had the usual visitors of Blue, Great and Coal Tits, Greenfinch and Goldfinch plus Starling, Blackbird, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, and House Sparrow. The latter being a very rare visitor to our feeders.


2 brief trips down to the River Ribble today around the Brockholes Wetland entrance gave views of Goldeneye (increased numbers in the afternoon 12+), Goosander, Heron, Mallard, Canada Geese, Black-headed & Herring Gull and on the afternoons visit what looks like a first winter Smew (a first for me). I’m hoping the Smew is still there tomorrow morning as on today’s mornings visit I forgot the battery for my camera and in the afternoon I’d forgotten to replace my SD card!! (though the light was poor for photography). The Smew was showing very well at first on an ice flow on the near bank then on the far bank along with a female Goosander about 200m upstream from the entrance to Brockholes Wetland.

No comments: