Brockholes Nature Reserve - 21st July 2010

We met Mike down at Brockholes at 18.30 with the hope of getting some photographs of a White-letter Hairstreak. The rain had abated and the sun began to shine (we live in the north west you know!) so we thought they might have made an appearance but even with the warm sun there were very few butterflies flying. We did manage Large White, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper and a Peacock the first I've seen this year.
The bonus was a lifer for Reece when I spotted a Barn Owl hunting on the River Ribble side of the compound. We continued our search for butterflies and Dragonflies around the bottom end of No1 pit when the Barn Owl made a re-appearance hunting over the east side before moving over the pit towards the Lancashire way. I managed a few distant record shots, the first I've taken of my favorite owl.
BARN OWL OVER NO 1 PIT AT BROCKHOLES NATURE RESERVE
We did manage to see a Brown Hawker hawking flies by the zebra crossing on the approach road to the reserve but as anyone who tried to photograph dragonflies in flight knows it is near impossible thus mine all hit the delete button!

9 comments:

Robs Birding said...

Hi Derek , well done on the seeing the Barn Owl , i like the photos too :)

Anonymous said...

Derek, your Barn Owl photos have come out really well. I should have stayed down there for a bit longer! Things always seem to turn up just after I go home. Mike.

Anonymous said...

I went back down there again tonight for the Hobby (no sign) but the BO came up from behind me, flew over my head not 10 metres away and vanished over the trees before I could get the camera on it! Mike

Derek Gallagher said...

Mike, Good news that the Barn Owl was back again. Hopefully I can get down one evening at the weekend to observe it a little more. Derek

Russ.G.H. said...

Hi. I have been following your site for a few months, its great to see the whats around 'our' area(I'm about 1/4 mile from the stags lodge). I was after a little help identifying a bird I've just seen(18.30 23Jul flying south from St Cath's hospice). Basically it was a House Martin with a pale head, or was it? Looking at a guide it was identical to a juv R.R.Swallow. Has anything been seen locally that you know about, either RRSwallow or a Martin with unusual markings? hopefully you or one of your followers can help. Thanks. RGH

Derek Gallagher said...

Hi Russ, I had planned to walk the dogs up there tonight around that time but stuck to Stags Lodge as my wife wasn't feeling to well so it's a shame I didn't see the bird in question or bump into yourself. My thought is that it is probably a juvenile swallow, there are quite a few flying at Stags Lodge at the moment along with house martins and their tails look very much like a martins and they don't have the colouration of an adult bird. I might take a look up early in the morning and see if the bird is still around. Sorry I couldn't be of more help and thanks for calling in on the blog and taking time to leave a message.
Derek

Isaac Cochrane said...

Hi Derek,
thanks for looking at my blog!
I like birds too but I prefer fungi.
you have found some great orchids
and I like your Butterflies.
Isaac.

Stuart Price said...

Another nice find, I'll have a look out for Barn Owls next time I come back to Preston for a visit.........

Derek Gallagher said...

Stu, it's the first Barn Owl I've seen localy and I hope to get down to get some better photos if the weather pics up in the next week or so.

Derek