Stags Lodge, Cuerden Valley Park

I wouldn't call myself a patch birder but if I was to be asked what my local patch is I'd have to say Stags Lodge. I spend most evenings and a few mornings there usually walking my 3 dogs but do manage to see what goes on even though I don't always blog it. Its not one of the best patches but does have a few nice birds our favourite of this year being the Whinchat that made an appearance earlier in the year. At the moment there are warblers calling again, Chiffchaff, Willow and Whitethroat which look to have bred successfully this year with 4 young on show with 2 adults this evening. On the pond the Coot have done well with 2 pairs raising a total of 5 young though no Moorhen this year we can't forget the large Mallard brood. Across the park we regularly see Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Magpie, Rook, Carion Crow, Greater-black Backed and Black-headed Gull, Coal, Long-tailed, Great and Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Swallow, Wren, Robin, Jay, Woodpigeon, Collard Dove, Kestrel, Grey Wagtail, Grey Heron and even the odd Buzzard from time to time. During the week though I found what I believe to be a young Sparrowhawk, what has taken it I'm not sure but possibly a Peregrine.
YOUNG SPARROWHAWWK FOUND DEAD ON THE PARK
The meadows were cut just over a week ago which caused me some concern not only beacause of the lack of flowers for the Bees and Butterflies but also beacause the meadows contained Common Spotted Orchid. A number of plants still remain in a ditch and a few more in the wilder part of th every bottom meadow which is usually left to grow its course so hopfully we will see them in future years here.
Butterflies can still be seen on the park with much smaller numbers of Meadow Brown than some weeks ago, a couple of Speckled Wood, Small Tortoiseshell, Coma, Green-veined White and a single female Brimstone.
ABOVE COMA BELOW FEMALE GREEN-VEINED WHITE
ABOVE PEACOCK CATERPILLAR ON ITS FOODPLANT THE COMMON NETTLE
All photo's on this post taken with my Sony Ericsson C905 mobile phone (who needs a fancy camera?)

2 comments:

sebi_2569 said...

nice photo;nice blog; bravo

Derek Gallagher said...

Thanks Sebi (hope thats your name), I've checked your blog and I don't think they even compare though it is handy having a decent camera on my mobile when your out and about.