Mistaken Identity!

  After posting last week I recieved an email from Mike suggesting my Linnet photograph may be a Twite. I had labeled it a Linnet as they are frequently seen at Heysham and I just presumed they were juvenile because of the slight grey seen on the head. After doing a little research I now agree with Mike on his Twite ID and thanks for correcting me (not for the first and I'm sure not the last).
TWITE TAKEN ON THE NORTH HARBOUR APPROACH ROAD AT HEYSHAM

As usual I've been walking our 3 collies at Stags Lodge (Cuerden Valley Park) come rain or shine. Recent sightings include Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Kestrel, Malard, Blackbird, Black-headed Gull, Song Thrush, Long-tailed, Blue and Great Tit. A single Moorhen has appeared on the pond after none being there all summer, a Buzzard has been around on more than one occasion over the past week and the number of Robins has increased over the last week. All the summer migrants seem to have moved on including the Coots that were quite successful this year.

6 comments:

Stuart Price said...

Nice find. There used to be a big flock of Twite at Marshside I remember, haven't seen the species for about 25 years though........

Derek Gallagher said...

Thanks Stu. I don't remember seeing any reports of Twite at Marshside in recent years but will certainly look out for them. The only othe rtime I've seen Twite was at Marton Mere last year.

Derek

Isaac Cochrane said...

you must have a good Camera to take all those good pictures of birds!
I am going to look for fungi today with The North Somerset And Bristol Fungi group.
Isaac.

Anonymous said...

May be a Twite but looks more like Linnet to me.
I would be inclined to lob it up on 'birdidentification' and see what the concensus is.

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=114

Flocks of Twite can be found at Knott End at the right time.

Derek Gallagher said...

Isaac - thanks, my camera is okay but I could do witha bigger and better lens. Hope you had a good time hunting for fungi

Anonymous - I have posted on birdforum and Linnet it is. The only time I've seen Twite before is at Marton Mere either last winter or the year before.
Derek

Isaac Cochrane said...

I might be able to do my blog today.
We found a lot of Waxcap fungi which
are out in autumn only.
our camera is a Lumix tz4.