Black-necke Grebe - Brockholes Wetland - 17th September 2009

Headed down to Brockholes Wetland for an hour tonight after receiving a text from Mike confirming the reported Black-necked Grebe was still on the main pit.


             
       BLACK-NECKED GREBE COURTESY OF MIKE FOLEY


MY FIRST BROCKHOLES LITTLE EGRET

Neither Reece nor I had seen one before so we headed straight up to the top layby to set up our scopes in search of it. Luckily Mike was still there and pointed it out to us as I’m sure I wouldn’t have spotted it being so small and spending most of the time diving. Watching it I would have said it was smaller then a Little Grebe but looking in several books they state it’s slightly larger. Whilst up at the top layby I took a quick look at Pit No 1 and to my surprise was the first Little Egret I’d seen there and as I write this on the 19th I’ve just had word that 4 Little Egret were there together tonight along with the Black-necked Grebe. Other sightings of note were Cormorant. Tufted Duck, 6 House Martin, Jay, Kestrel and 1 Roe Deer with 2 Fawn.

No comments: