Tichwell RSPB - 8th July 2009

Back working in the Norfolk area again and with a 5am start I’d finished for lunch so decided to get a little birding in before heading home.
First stop was for the Montagu’s Harrier again but no sign though did get a few photos of this male Marsh Harrier in a nearby field. On to Tichwell RSPB and this time rather than the hides I headed down to the beach for a little sea watching. Amongst the Gulls were Dunlin and the odd Curlew Sandpiper, Oystercatcher, Cormorant, Curlew and a handful of what I think were Eider. With the wind blowing hard I was finding it hard to focus my scope in on them at the distance they where so not 100%.
I was hoping for some Tern especially Little but none around from where I was viewing from the end of the path.
On the walk back I spotted what I didn’t know at the time what was the Buff Breasted Sandpiper, I’d made some notes and after a little research once I got home a second lifer (the first being the Curlew Sandpiper). Other sightings of note on the 1Km walk to and from the beach where Ruff, Little Egret, Linnet, Reed Bunting, Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Avocet and my second Marsh Harrier for the day. Near the visitors centre I watched a Caffinch feed its young for 5 minutes, I managed a few photos but with the light being poor the shutter speed was low and with my camera shake nothing but a blur.
I’m sure there was a lot more around but with limited time and the rain clouds pending not a bad haul. Will certainly have to pay a weekend visit with Reece not only to Tichwell but the whole stretch of coastline, it’s a marvellous area for birding.

1 comment:

Jonny Scragg said...

Well done with the Buff Breasted Sandpiper. I've been wanting to Norfolf for ages, what a place.