Local Patch, Warblers & Butterflies - 29th April 2011

I managed a few trips up to the local patch the first being on the way back from an early walk with the dogs at Cuerden Valley Park. On the way up I’d heard a Willow Warbler calling by the top kissing gate and more were heard on Cuerden itself as well as a Whitethroat calling near the paddock and Chiffchaff calling around the park.
On the way back through as well as the usual calling Chiffchaff there were 2 calling Whitethroat and 2 other Whitethroat in the area where 2 successfully nested last year which was a good sign and prompted a return visit with the camera.
Though I heard 2 Whitethroat calling the nesting pair were very elusive and it took a 45 minute wait sat in the long grass before I got the few shots shown.
ABOVE AND BELOW WHITETHROAT
Though the wind was up there were several species of butterfly in evidence and I came across a single Blue-tailed Damselfly which I think is a little early for them and the first dragonfly/damselfly I have seen this season though I have been checking the Dragonfly Pond at Cuerden regularly.
ABOVE AND BELOW MALE ORANGE TIP, THE FEMALE LACKS THE ORANGE TIPS
ABOVE WORN PEACOCK BELOW SMALL TORTOISESHELL 
ABOVE SMALL WHITE BELOW BLUE-TAILED DAMSELFLY


2 comments:

Stuart Price said...

Nice shots, I really miss the sound of Whitethroats in summer........there used to be loads on the disused railway line in Penwortham, they nested in the brambles. All that has gone now (new houses etc).

Anonymous said...

Derek,

Great photos again. I must come round so that you can show me your Whitethroats. Mike.